1) "Our privacy delusions" was the first segment that I watched. The most interesting part about this was in the beginning talking about how even though your facebook may be private and secure, in reality it is not completely. I think this is interesting because pretty much all college students have a facebook, and we dont always think about the fact that if we are posting ocomments or picture on our friends' walls, that it is fair game to the whole internet. If people share our stuff and it goes viral, then they are protected under the facebook copyright. People should really think about the fact of even though their facebook is private, it does not mean that everything they share or do on facebook is private as well.
2). "How to sort good information from bad on twitter" was the second segment that I watched. This was about how useful twitter can be to people. I thought it was interesting how the man speaking talked about looking at twitter as a meal. Your main dishes come from official sources such as news stations and radio stations. They can give important information to people that could help them out. The side dishes of twitter could be magazines or journalists. Not all of the information can be accurate. It is important for people to realize that not everything on twitter can be trustworthy. A lot of the information that pops up on my newsfeed I am unsure about. I follow a lot of unofficial people and never know if what they are saying is credible or false.
3) "Facebook's new social search" was the third segment that I watched. This segment is about a brand new search bar that appeared on facebook this month. It is called a social graph search and how it works is by letting facebook users search for people with similar interests as them. I found thi segment kind of scary because I had never even heard of this new search tool, until watching this segment. In the segment, it says that Facebook "quietly"updated their privacy policy so that not one person could entirely avoid people being able to look them up through similar interests. This freaks me out personally, and I think everyone should listen to this segment in order to be aware of what is going on. It seems like there is no point to even have our facebooks on private if they wont be completely private.
4) "Facebook vs. Europe" was the fourth segment that I watched, This segment is about Europe being more strict on privacy laws. I was SHOCKED when Max started to talk about how Europeans are required to give every bit of data collected on someone through facebook to that person if wanted. Max was shocked himself when he was given a stack of 1,200 pages of data and information on him...just through Facebook. He said that he wa snot even an active user of Facebook. This scares me because I post a lot of stuff on Facebook, including hundreds of pictures. If Europe is able to do this, then so could the United States, The United States one day may follow in the same footsteps.It is not okay that Facebook does not delete everything that a person actually wants to delete. They still keep record of every picture that you like, of every message that you send, and even everytime that you poke someone. This is definitely an invasion of privacy.
5) "The little thing called like" is the last segment that I read. This segment is all about how you can "like" every little thing on Facebook. It used to be that you could just "like" peoples pictures and other pages. Now you can "like" it when people add other people as friends, for example. This is interesting because most people on facebook "like" pages of brands and what not, just that it will show up on their interests page. They click this button without being aware of all of the information. When someone "likes" a page, they are signing up to be sent information on that certain page. This is crazy because in a way it is like Facebook is how people advertise all of their products and services. People should be aware of what they are getting themselves into when they press that "like" button.
I thought that the two segments that seemes most related are "Our Privacy Delusions" and "Facebook vs. Europe". These two relate a lot because the first segment is explaing that anyone can see what we post on Facebook, even if our facebooks are private. As long as we post stuff to other people's walls, or tag them in posts, then they are fair game to the world and internet. The second segment relates to the first because it is talking about how facebook will keep every bit of data and activity that you do on there. They even keep stuff that you delete, so nothing fully is erased. Thsi is scary because after listening to these two segments, I feel as if Facebook is not safe for anyone, and it makes people think twice about keeping them
Jessica, your post about the segments is good. I think that you went in great detail when explaining what caught your interest. I agree with you on your two segments that are related. Both segments explain how when you think your information on Facebook is private and no one can see it, in reality people can get to your information.
ReplyDeleteWhat you said is pretty good information. It's really easy to forget that even if you make your facebook page peivate it doesn't make what you put on other peoples facebook private. It is also crazy that even after you delete something it's never completely gone.
ReplyDelete